Sunday, August 20, 2006


After finishing Crumpets- (and forgetting to take a picture of it with the straps on) I decided to try to use up the remaining pink yarn before starting off on something else. My idea was just to have a pink sweater on hand the next time someone has a baby girl.

This sweater was knit with almost no seaming from a design in Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's almanac. The lace pattern is called "Gull Wing" and the sweater is knit from the neck down. Increases in the garter stitch shape the yoke and the only seams are from the armpits to wrist.

This was the first time I made this sweater, and I was not visualizing the arms correctly until it was too late. I overshot the point where I should have begun the sleeves. I am not happy with the arm connecting into the body a little too low- but oddly this fitting problem is not apparent when the sweater is on a baby. My nine month old son was so kind to model the sweater for me- looking decidedly masculine in pink. Also- I try to keep the arm length on baby sweaters short to help keep the cuffs dry and clean.



The original pattern called for evenly spaced buttons down the front- but I opted to group them all at the yoke. I did not make buttonholes as I did the knitting- but added them later by wedging a pen into the garter stitch and then stitching the hole open with a needle.



I am pretty sure that this will be a pattern which I will do again and again. It was a very fun knit.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

What a cute sweater! And a darling baby too.

RheLynn said...

The pink baby sweater turned out really cute! It looks like a great project!