Thursday, August 31, 2006


I had not tried dying my mohair roving, so this week I gave that a go. It was also an experiment in hand painted oven dyed roving. The last time I had dyed mohair it was in the locks which I then worked with combs. This time I wound up felting the mess of it. I don't know how that happened- but mohair likes to gob together just sitting around on a shelf, so I'm not at all surprised by the long colored strips of felt I produced. At least I was only doing a small trial run. It was slighty spinnable, but made my fingers tired. I do like the way that the pink, plum, grey, blue and white all meshed together in this marled 2 ply. I think I am going to have to stick with dying finished yarn.

7 comments:

Lilith Parker said...

It's really pretty, despite being a PITA. :)

Your Secret Pal said...

it's beautiful!

The Curly Knitter said...

It looks great! Sarah, you won the contest on my blog! Come over and see my post and email me to get your prize!!! Congrats!

scarybez said...

What a shame it felted - the colours are fab! Thanks for the helpful comment on my blog about the two green tops btw - it hadn't even clicked that they're both the same colour! Great suggestion about looking for the patterns made up in different yarns etc. Take care, scarybez x

scarybez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Wow, great colors. What does it feel like? (I'm sooo not mohair-savvy!)

Thanks for the drying advice...I think , after four days, my cotton is finally dry enough to put away. (Still a little scared to wind it...)

Kristy said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for your lovely comments on The Spinner's Tale!

The mohair *is* really gorgeous! It's too bad that it felted, but it still appears to still be useable yarn! Maybe spin it up a bit at a time to give your fingers a rest?

I also just tried dyeing some kid mohair on the weekend. A lot of fun; will definitely experiment with again!